The 2019 Edition of Social Security Benefits Including Medicare provides a concise and helpful explanation of the complex rules governing the Social Security and Medicare Programs.
This booklet simplifies the rules governing Social Security benefits and Parts A, B, C and D of the Medicare program, allowing retirees and other beneficiaries to better plan for retirement. Specifically the booklet details applicable eligibility requirements, explains the increase in the full retirement age, illustrates the calculation of monthly benefits, and discusses the effect of early retirement and delayed retirement on benefits. It reflects benefit amounts, the taxable earnings base and other variables set forth by the Social Security Administration for the upcoming year, which will enable retirees to compute the amount of their benefits.
In addition, Social Security Benefits Including Medicare provides retirees with an understanding of the tax treatment of their benefits, factors that can reduce benefits, and retirement decisions that can increase benefits. Finally, the discussion contains numerous examples, all of which have been updated to reflect 2019 figures and rules, including the substantial increase in the taxable wage base, the increase in the full retirement age, and additional Medicare taxes that may be imposed on high earners.
The 2019 Edition has been updated to include:
- Expanded discussion and illustration of the impact on Social Security benefits of life events, such as marriage, divorce, death of a spouse, remarriage, or disability
- Additional illustrations of the effect of early retirement on Social Security benefits, including the ramifications of withdrawing an application for benefits
- Analysis of the continued viability of the “file and suspend” and “restricted application” retirement planning strategies
- Updated examples and charts to reflect all 2019 cost of living adjustments including an increase in the Medicare Part B premium
- Analysis of the impact of the increased Medicare Part B premium on Social Security benefits
- Expanded discussion of the additional 0.9% Medicare tax and the 3.8% Medicare tax on investment income
- Added discussion of the federal and state taxation of Social Security benefits
- Detailed analysis of the reduction of benefits at early retirement and the credit for delayed retirement
- Discussion of government authority to levy against benefits to collect student loan and other debt
- And more
Previous Edition: Social Security Benefits Including Medicare, 2018 Edition, ISBN 9781454895466
|Update Frequency||Published annually|
|Product Line||Wolters Kluwer Legal & Regulatory U.S.|