Quick Reference to HIPAA Compliance, 2021 Edition
Quick Reference to HIPAA Compliance is a guide for human resources managers and employee benefits professionals who administer employer-sponsored health plans, health care providers, and anyone who needs to understand and comply with all the regulations under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). The publication is designed to provide these individuals with essential information in an easy-to-use format, including checklists, forms, and other tools to facilitate compliance. In addition, the publication provides an overview of other laws affecting employee benefits, such as national health care reform. A topical index is also provided.
The 2021 Edition includes the following:
- Information on HIPAA related to the privacy of patients and health plan members, and to ensure health information is kept secure and that patients are notified of breaches of their health data. See Chapter 1.
- Updated information regarding the extension of the timeframe for exercising special enrollment rights in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Updated section on Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) covering when a Health FSA is excepted from HIPAA and when a Health FSA is overspent.
- Four new questions and answers on business associates under the HIPAA privacy rule. See Chapter 10.
- Information on the extension of timeframes for Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) election period, notices, and deadlines for COBRA premium payments, as well as the extension applicable to the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and updates on CHIP funding, and updates
to the Mental Health Parity section, penalties under the Affordable Care Act, and the Family and Medical Leave Act tax credit for paid leave.
Note: Online subscriptions are for three-month periods.
Previous Edition: Quick Reference to HIPAA Compliance, 2020 Edition, ISBN 9781543811728