Corporate Social Responsibility: The Corporate Governance of the 21st Century - 2nd edition
The current theory of corporate social responsibility (CSR) is developing along three interwoven lines – oral, social, and environmental. Although everybody recognizes that although CSR is of growing concern in a globalized economy, it being at the top of the board of director’s agenda and also good for business, there is no sign of consensus on its rules, structures, or procedures. Now, this collection of essays by leading jurists, businesspeople, and academics takes a giant step toward a more cohesive and durable set of principles that can contribute to a cleaner environment and a better society while respecting and protecting the interests of all stakeholders.
The authors approach this complex but critical subject from a variety of perspectives, including the following: ;
- the role of CSR in corporate governance; ;
- the legal enforceability of CSR rules;
- the impact of international human rights standards; ;
- CSR as part of ‘corporate DNA’;
- choice of CSR strategy – defensive or offensive;
- the need for fair competition between developing country exporters;
- the prospects for international social protection for workers;
- enforcement of minimal standards in remote locations;
- the active search for eco-efficient solutions;
- corporate assumption of human rights responsibilities;
- the legal weight of codes of conduct; and
- the role of the lawyer in CSR.
In a world where the annual income of the five largest business corporations is more than double the combined GNPs of the fifty poorest countries, the need for meaningful standards of corporate social responsibility should be obvious. The well-informed and considered analyses in this remarkable volume provide an excellent starting point for those anxious to move the agenda forward in this area that, despite the efforts of many companies, often seems so intractable. The book will be of immeasurable value to all professionals and academics in relevant fields of law, policy, and business.
|Update Frequency||As Needed|
|Product Line||Kluwer Law International|