By Susan Lasser, J.D.
ASKO North America asks that consumers stop using the recalled dishwashers and schedule a free in-home repair.
ASKO Distribution North America LLC, of Madison, Wisconsin, has recalled approximately 26,600 ASKO dishwashers because the dishwasher power cord can overheat, posing a fire hazard. In addition, about 4,300 dishwashers were sold in Canada and are included in the recall (CPSC Recall Notice, No. 19-210, September 26, 2019).
Incidents and injuries. ASKO North America has received 53 reports of the power cord overheating. However, no property damage nor injuries have been reported.
Product description. The recall involves ASKO dishwashers that come in stainless steel with customizable doors and handles, and each is about 24 inches wide, 22 inches deep, and between 32 and 35 inches tall. ASKO is printed in the front and in the center on the top dish rack. Dishwashers with the following model and serial numbers printed on the inside on the left side of the dishwasher door opening are recalled:
- Model No. D5426XLS—Serial Nos. 49130164130001 through 49130171830050
- Model No. D5526XLFI—Serial Nos. 49130464130001 through 49130480530127
- Model No. D5526XXLFI—Serial Nos. 49130564130143 through 49130573530207
- Model No. D5436XLS—Serial Nos. 49223164130001 through 49223173531000
- Model No. D5536XLFI—Serial Nos. 49256564130001 through 49256572730426
- Model No. D5536XXLFI—Serial Nos. 49256664230001 through 49256695030114
- Model No. D5536XXLFISOF—Serial Nos. 49256764230001 through 49256772830024
- Model No. D5636XLHS/TH—Serial Nos. 49256864130001 through 49256872430334
- Model No. D5636XLHS/PH—Serial Nos. 49256964130001 through 49256971230025
- Model No. D5636XXLHS/TH—Serial Nos. 49257064130001 through 49257073430220
- Model No. D5636XXLHS/PH—Serial Nos. 49257164130106 through 49257184230232
- Model No. D5636XXLSHI—Serial Nos. 49261264130001 through 49261273438338
- Model No. D5556XXLFI—Serial Nos. 49263264230001 through 49263273930290
- Model No. D5656XXLHS/TH—Serial Nos. 49263364630001 through 49263372830060
The dishwashers were manufactured in Slovenia by Gorenje Group, of Slovenia. They were sold exclusively at ASKO North America authorized dealers nationwide from October 2016 through July 2019, for between $1,000 and $2,200.
Remedy. Consumers immediately should stop using the recalled dishwashers, turn off power to the dishwasher at the circuit board, and contact ASKO to schedule a free, in-home repair.
Customer contact. For more information, customers may contact ASKO North America toll-free at 888-651-9376 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday; by email at [email protected], or online at www.askona.com and click "Customer Care," then "Safety Notices."
Companies: ASKO Distribution North America LLC
MainStory: TopStory ProductRecallsNews HouseholdProductsNews
Interested in submitting an article?
Submit your information to us today!Learn More
Product Liability Law Daily: Breaking legal news at your fingertips
Sign up today for your free trial to this daily reporting service created by attorneys, for attorneys. Stay up to date on product liability legal matters with same-day coverage of breaking news, court decisions, legislation, and regulatory activity with easy access through email or mobile app.