By Susan Engstrom
HEB Grocery Company LLC, of San Antonio, Texas, is recalling about 2.2 million GTC halogen light bulbs because they can shatter while in use in a lamp or light fixture, posing laceration and fire hazards to consumers (CPSC Recall Notice, No. 18-131, March 29, 2018).
Incidents and injuries. The firm has received 14 reports of the light bulbs shattering while in a lamp or light fixture. One consumer had a cut on his hand, and another had a burn to his hand and cuts on his foot.
Product description. This recall involves GTC halogen light bulbs. They were sold in packages of 2 or 4 bulbs. The bulb packages were sold in 25 watt, 40 watt, 60 watt, 75 watt, or 100 watt bulb varieties in either clear or soft white colors. The bulbs measure approximately 4.5 inches in length and 2.375 inches in diameter. The tops of the bulbs read "GTC" and include the wattage and lumens values. The bulbs are packaged in blue and red cardboard boxes that read: "GTC NATURAL LIGHT" across the top, along with the wattage and color of the bulb. The UPC codes are printed on the product packaging. Only bulbs with the following UPC codes are included in the recall:
- GTC A19 HAL 60W 1500HR SW 4PK: UPC 4122043932
- GTC A19 HAL 75W 1500HR SW 4PK: UPC 4122065268
- GTC A19 HAL 100W 1500HR SW 4PK: UPC 4122017409
- GTC A19 HAL 60W 1500HR CLR 4PK: UPC 4122017463
- GTC A19 HAL 75W 1500HR CLR 4PK: UPC 4122017576
- GTC A19 HAL 100W 1500HR CL 4PK: UPC 4122065608
- GTC A19 HAL 40W 1500HR CLR 2P: UPC 4122084562
- GTC A19 HAL 60W 1500HR CLR 2P: UPC 4122029652
- GTC A19 HAL 75W 1500HR CLR 2PK: UPC 4122029783
- GTC A19 HAL 100W 1500HR CL 2PK: UPC 4122065177
- GTC A19 HAL 25W 1500HR SW 2PK: UPC 4122030062
- GTC A19 HAL 40W 1500HR SW 2PK: UPC 4122017464
- GTC A19 HAL 60W 1500HR SW 2PK: UPC 4122017397
- GTC A19 HAL 75W 1500HR SW 2PK: UPC 4122065271
- GTC A19 HAL 100W 1500HR SW 2PK: UPC 4122017418
These bulbs, which were manufactured in China, were sold at H-E-B stores in Texas or online at www.heb.com from August 2015 to December 2017 for about $2.20 (for a 2-pack) and $4 (for a 4-pack). They were imported by Parkway Trading and Manufacturing Company, of San Antonio, Texas (an HEB company).
Remedy. Consumers should stop using the recalled halogen light bulbs immediately and return them to H-E-B for a full refund.
Customer contact. For more information, customers may contact H-E-B at 800-432-3113 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or online at www.heb.com and click on Product Recalls under the Customer Service heading at the bottom of the home page.
Companies: HEB Grocery Company LLC
MainStory: TopStory RecallNewsStory HouseholdProductsNews IndustrialCommercialEquipNews
Interested in submitting an article?
Submit your information to us today!Learn More
Product Liability Law Daily: Breaking legal news at your fingertips
Sign up today for your free trial to this daily reporting service created by attorneys, for attorneys. Stay up to date on product liability legal matters with same-day coverage of breaking news, court decisions, legislation, and regulatory activity with easy access through email or mobile app.