By Payroll and Entitlements Editorial Staff
The Social Security Administration (SSA) is piloting a new version of Business Services Online (BSO) File Upload Process. SSA named this pilot/process the Employer Wage Reporting Journey (EWRJ). SSA is looking for 10 – 20 companies to use this process for their Tax Year 2020 wage file (EFW2) submissions that will be uploaded to SSA in January 2021. The EWRJ is different from the current File Upload process in that it:
- Checks for errors in real time (other than name/SSN mismatches)
- Will reject the file in real time during the upload process if the file has any critical errors, will list the errors on screen and inform you to correct the error(s) before SSA can finish processing the file
- Provides conformation in real time when SSA finishes processing the file
- Users will not have to wait days or weeks to find out what happened to the file. Users will not have to log in again to find out what happened to the file. Users will find out in real time.
- Only 1% of files that SSA receives from employers have errors, so SSA can process 99% of all files to completion in real time.
- In most cases it will take less than one minute for SSA to process a file in real time
- Even though this is a pilot, users will upload the actual wage report (EFW2) file to SSA through BSO. Users do not need to upload the file a second time through the current BSO File Upload process.
- SSA will contact you after the files is uploaded using EWRJ to get feedback on the process. As part of this pilot, SSA will add a role to users SSA credential (BSO User ID) so that you can participate in the pilot. This will turn on the EWRJ feature in BSO that only pilot participants will see. SSA will provide a special Customer Service contact at SSA that can help those who have any questions.
Those who are interested in participating should reply by October 5th. Send an e-mail to [email protected] with the following information:
- Contact name
- Contact e-mail Address
- Contact phone number
- Name of business you represent
- Business EIN
- Approximate # of files you normally send to SSA
- Approximate # of W-2s you normally send to SSA
The SSA will notify applicants within 2 weeks if selected to participate in the pilot. At that time, SSA will provide additional information including the special Customer Service contact information.
Interested in submitting an article?
Submit your information to us today!Learn More