By Payroll and Entitlements Editorial Staff
Missouri State Senator Dave Schatz in his weekly column discussed the resources that have been set up by the Department of Revenue (Department) to help corporate and personal income taxpayers affected by an error in the state’s 2018 withholding tables (See Payroll Management Guide Report Letter 1528/2575, October 10, 2018). (There are no errors in the 2019 withholding tables). Due to the error, individuals who normally expect to receive a refund may not receive it and those who normally do not expect a tax bill may end up with one.
The following are some of the resources for helping affected taxpayers:
- The Department has created a dedicated phone line ((573) 522-0967) for taxpayers who have questions about their 2018 return.
- Taxpayers who are unable to immediately resolve their tax obligation may set up a payment plan with the department, either online or by phone. Internet installment agreements can be accessed at https://dor.mo.gov/cacs/.
- The Taxation Division call center agents are offering abatement of penalties and are working with taxpayers to adjust balances for interest.
- The department will not impose penalties for underpayment of estimated tax, provided that the taxpayer has paid at least 85 percent of the tax owed by April 15, 2019. The standard threshold is 90 percent.
- If taxpayers are still unable to pay their taxes after all traditional payment options have been exhausted, the department will evaluate if an Offer in Compromise agreement is an appropriate next step.
- Taxpayers can once again sign up to receive automatic text and email alerts each time the status of their state tax return is updated. To enroll for alerts, customers need three pieces of information: their Social Security number, filing status, and anticipated refund or balance due. To access the Missouri Return Inquiry System and sign up for automatic text and e-mail alerts, taxpayers can visit https://dor.mo.gov/returnstatus/. (Senator Dave Schatz, Weekly Column, February 14, 2019.)
Interested in submitting an article?
Submit your information to us today!Learn More