The OCC has revised a series of booklets that examiners use in supervision of various types of financial intuitions.
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency has issued updated versions of a number of booklets that comprise the Comptroller’s Handbook.
The updated booklets are the "Bank Supervision Process," "Community Bank Supervision," "Federal Branches and Agencies Supervision," and "Large Bank Supervision." According to the OCC, the updated booklets reflect the following:
- the interim final rule for the expanded supervisory cycle;
- an updated OCC report of examination policy based on the revised Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council report of examination policy;
- information about the OCC’s authority to access banks’ books and records; and
- revision of the OCC’s enforcement action policies.
The Bank Supervision Process booklet is the central reference for the OCC's bank supervision policy. It explains the agency’s risk-based bank supervision approach, and discusses the general supervisory process, for all types of OCC-supervised banks.
The Community Bank Supervision booklet is used by examiners when examining banks in the OCC's community bank supervision program. This booklet summarizes and expands on the information in the Bank Supervision Process booklet.
The Federal Branches and Agencies Supervision booklet is prepared for use by OCC examiners in connection with their examination and supervision of federal branches and agencies of foreign banking organizations. The booklet provides guidance on assessing the safety and soundness, effectiveness of risk management systems, and compliance with laws and regulations of federal branches and agencies. Examiners use this booklet in conjunction with the Bank Supervision Process and Large Bank Supervision booklets.
Finally, the Large Bank Supervision booklet is used by examiners in their supervision of banks in the OCC's midsize, large, or international banking supervision programs. This booklet summarizes and expands on the information in the Bank Supervision Process booklet.
In addition to the updated booklets, the OCC also announced the rescission of the following publications:
- OCC Bulletin 2016-13, "Communications Technology: Guidance for Banks' Maintenance of Records, Records Retention, and Examiner Access;"
- Office of Thrift Supervision Examination Handbook section 360, appendix B, "Questions and Answers—Examination Obstruction;"
- OCC Bulletin 2019-11, "Report of Examination: FFIEC Policy and Rescissions;" and
- the "Overview" booklet in the Consumer Compliance series of the Comptroller’s Handbook.
The rescissions were made since those publications were incorporated in or replaced by the updated booklets.
MainStory: TopStory BankingFinance BankingOperations FedTracker PrudentialRegulation
Interested in submitting an article?
Submit your information to us today!Learn More
Banking and Finance Law Daily: Breaking legal news at your fingertips
Sign up today for your free trial to this daily reporting service created by attorneys, for attorneys. Stay up to date on banking and finance legal matters with same-day coverage of breaking news, court decisions, legislation, and regulatory activity with easy access through email or mobile app.