CPT 2019 published significant changes for reporting fine needle aspiration biopsy and skin biopsy procedures. In addition, guidelines include a hierarchy for coding multiple biopsies. This presentation will provide clinical descriptions for many of the surgical procedures along with examples, decision trees and exercises. The program concludes with a summary of changes to other sections of CPT (such as Radiology, Pathology and Laboratory).
- At the conclusion of the Webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Differentiate between new biopsy codes
- Apply hierarchy for coding multiple skin biopsies
- Distinguish between PICC line procedure codes
- Identify documentation to support revision and insertion of gastrostomy tube
- Explain new urinary system procedures
- Summarize changes to other sections of CPT
Gail I. Smith MA, RHIA, CCS-P, President of Gail Smith Consulting, LLC, is a health care consultant with more than 30 years of experience in the industry. Ms. Smith has authored several coding publications including AHIMA’s Basic Current Procedural Terminology and HCPCS Coding. Ms. Smith holds a Masters degree in Education from the College of Mount St. Joseph and a Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Administration from The Ohio State University. She is a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) and a Certified Coding Specialist for Physicians (CCS-P).